Wednesday, January 20, 2010

So this is how it feels to be a blogger ...

Hello, readers! I'm Emily. Before we get any farther ... should I explain my oddly titled blog? :) 

Maybe I'm a little bit old-fashioned. See ... I'm not a lover of virtual reality. I think the life outside of our computers and televisions is the life we should be living. Real life is so much deeper and lovelier than anything you'll find in cyberspace or on TV. 

But many people spend all their free time on the Internet or at the television. And so many bad consequences come from that mode of relaxation.

There are better ways to enjoy life. This blog is all about those ways. Apparently, "meatspace" is the new word for the opposite of cyberspace. (Who knows what they'll come up with next ....) In other words, "meatspace" is real life. And that is the explanation for the name of my blog. My blog is all about ways to spend time in the real world, enjoying life in a valuable way.

Okay, it might seem a little ironic that my blog is sort of anti-computer. But think of it this way: I'm just using it as a springboard into real life. It is my hope that anyone who sees this blog will be inspired to appreciate the amazing things this planet has to offer.

So on here I'll talk about the books I love, the poets and artists I'm into, maybe even a few good recipes ... (or not, I'm not much of a cook ....) Hopefully, this blog will be a good reminder to appreciate life! 

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, Emily.

    I'll be anxious to read your posts each week. Should be interesting. And "Meatspace" is a new term to me. I'd like to think "meat" refers to the real world being where the meat of life resides, as opposed to the fluff on cyberspace. Just a thought. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting concept and completely sensible. We need more of the "real world" in our lives...that's for sure. "Meatspace"? Thought a word more flattering would have been conjured up, but it was probably quickly given a label by someone eager to get back to their "distraction piece".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was an ugly word too. :) But it does kind of give a mental picture!

    ReplyDelete