Monday, January 25, 2010

Why you should keep a commonplace book.

Have you ever come across a quote that changed your life? Are you one of those people who is inspired by words? I am; and this year in my literature class, we've been doing a project that I think I'll be continuing for many years to come. In this class, we are all required to keep commonplace books. For those of you who aren't familiar with this term, a commonplace book is a blank book in which you keep quotes that are meaningful to you. Here's mine:

                 

I hope you all recognize the literary reference on the cover. :) Here's a sampling of the quotes that I've written this year:

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!" - Winston Churchill

"There is a great deal more to be gotten out of things than is generally gotten out of them, whether the thing be a chapter of the Bible or a yellow turnip." -George MacDonald, Sir Gibbie.

"If you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so they don't apply to you." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites.

I feel that for avid readers and/or writers, a commonplace book is very important. It's been really neat for me to have a place to keep my favorite examples of great literature and the quotes that have made an impact on me. Even for people who don't enjoy reading and writing, I think a commonplace book can still be very beneficial. So, go ahead and start one! :)

5 comments:

  1. Just wanted you to know I used your Churchill quote as my FaceBook status this morning. Tell Mike (Dellosso) I said hi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, this is a great idea. I'm going to tell my wife about it and get our girls started on keeping a commonplace book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim George - I will!

    Mr. Dellosso - Tim George says hi. ;) I'm glad you liked the idea! I hope your girls do too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily. I teach at LBC also. Thanks for getting out this suggestion to others. I was already keeping a commonplace book, but now I have a name for it. There something wonderful about finding words that jump off a page and make you want to read them a few times. Gathering them in a book to ponder later extends the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weleski - I agree. This is one of the most valuable assignments I've received this year. :)

    ReplyDelete